Thursday 17 March 2016

The Powerful Technology That Will Sell A Million Smartphones


I don’t mean the speed of the chipsets (although that plays a part in this). I don’t mean the ever-increasing levels of memory or storage (but they are also involved). Nor am I thinking about at the extra connectivity, antennas, or protocols to shift data onto a handset. I’m talking about battery power, endurance, and the ability to keep doing my mobile thing for a full day (and night) away from the hotel room.

Hand me a smartphone with a battery that can get me through the day without worrying about running out by 8pm and I would be a happy reporter. Like any good member of the geekerati I have a few handsets with me, and none of them can make it through the Texan day without a top-up charge of some description. Be they Android, iOS, or Windows 10, the requirement for an additional battery is almost mandatory for the modern smartphone.

Looking around the conference floor, and I see a lot of battery cases in use. Glance into the press room and every mobile phone is plugged into the wall or connected to a portable battery charger. To be fair, some of that might be defensive charging (I always recommend practicing the ABC of conferences – Always Be Charging), but even the people doing that are already in the mind-set that their phone will not make it through the day without help.

Yet what are we sold at every opportunity? Thin is in. That everyone wants a tenth of a millimetre shaved off the design, everyone wants a phone that is harder to hold and everyone wants a phone that will only work until 3 pm before giving out. When every other specification gets a little bigger with each launch event, the battery gets smaller, the endurance of the smartphone attempts to stay steady through smart coding, and the peripheral manufacturers breath a sigh of relief that they still have a business.

Source : forbes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment